Truvada full benefit after 15 days

Hello - I am a dental student that had a needle stick , I was placed on Truvada and took it for 15 days than missed 3 doses due to side effects. The source was tested negative and I tested negative at day 14. Should I discontinue taking Truvada. Do you get full benefit after 15 days ? Keeping in mind that source could be in the window period on the test was a false negative. Also, my wife and I were planning to start trying for children this month. Should we refrain from unprotected sex until my 3 month testing ? We have sex with a condom but it broke ... Is she at all at risk ? knowing that I took PEP for 14 days and the source was negative

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

Since the index case was tested negative further PEP is not indicated. The chances of catching a person with no symptoms and unknown risk behavior in the window period of HIV is too small to base any recommendation. Do not worry further.

Best to you and your wife.

Joe

Your 88 Year-old Patient
Can we live up to 30years?