PEP treatment

Dear Dr.

I had an unprotected relation last Sunday at 3 a.m. where I penetrated an unknown status male. I was very worried and went to the Dr. on Tuesday. HIV tested negative and he prescribed Truvada/Stocrin PEP for 1 month.

1. Is this considered a high risk sexual relation? 2. Is this PEP the correct one for me? I started the treatment 60 hours after the sexual relation. 3. After the first day of PEP I started feeling a weird pain in the skin on the left side of my chest and back. Is this normal?

Many thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

Incertive anal sex with an unknown sero-status partner is not of the highest risk. Receptive anal sex with a known positive partner would be highest, followed by receptive vaginal sex. If you were circumscised and had no signs of STIs (genital ulcers, herpes, etc) that may lessen the risk further.

Usually we would like to start PEP ASAP, within 36-48 hours. Up to 72 hours may be OK in high risk situations.

The symptoms you describe are not among the most common associated with meds, and it is way too soon to be HIV related. Be sure you are using your stocrin at bedtime, on an empty stomach, that may lessen any side effects.

Best, Joe

HIV Query
Need some urgent advice.