CD4 count concerns?

I have recently been told my viral load was 17,000 and my CD4 was 195. I have been also sick for the past 2 weeks with sinunitis and have chronic bronchitis. Are both my results in bad health and will meds help improve them. I am currently taking b-12 injections as well for vitamin deficency. I am just really worried about my CD4 and should I be worried about both. Thanks

Hello and thanks for your post.

If you were acutely ill (as you were), I generally do not recommend even getting HIV viral load or CD4 tests. This is because the illness often will cause abnormally high- or low values; values that don't necessarily reflect your "healthy" baseline.

I'd only recommend repeating the CD4 a couple of weeks after the sinusitis and bronchitis resolve. Then, if the value is below 350 (for sure) and 500 (probably), you and your doctor should be considering initiation of HIV treatment.

Be well, BY

Truvada and Kaletra
Sex during PEP treatment