Truvada and Kaletra

I have been on these two drugs for over 2yrs and my creatine was 2.9 previously and now it is 4.8 . my doctor wants me to continue truvada every other day but i think i need to stop Truvada and use something else. Please advice

Hello and thanks for your post.

While there are multiple causes of kidney injury among persons living with HIV and the overall risk of tenofovir-induced injury is low, persons who have pre-existing kidney disease appear to be at greater risk than those who do not.

So, it's somewhat surprising to me that you were started on Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) with a baseline creatinine of 2.9-- if you're of average weight and, say 40 years old, you had an estimated glomerular filtration rate (GFR, an estimate of kidney function) of 27 (normal is about 100). At 4.8, it's down to 16. At this point, I'd generally recommend considering (if it exists) an alternative to tenofovir. Indeed, the use of Truvada is not recommended for persons whose function is as low as yours. If you are genetically screened HLA-B5701 negative, an abacavir- or zidovudine-based option could be one approach.

In either event, you've got quite impaired kidney function; this is a time when a careful analysis of your kidney health and possible contributing factors (like high blood pressure, diabetes) is critical.

Be well, I hope this helps. BY

CD4 BELOW 30
CD4 count concerns?