St. John's Wort and many of my meds!

Six days ago, I started taking anti-depression pills that I purchased at a health food store--along with all of my HIV meds. These new pills contain St. John's Wort; and today, on day six, I have started shivering, and itching all over, shaking. It seemed to me like an allergic reaction. I started going over what might be new in my diet and environment, and the label on these pills revealed the St. John's Wort. It apparently interacts with a number of my AIDS medications, including Ritonavir, Reyataz, Prozac, and Diflucan.

My question is: how should I proceed? I haven't taken any of the AIDS medicines today; I did take one Benadryl tablet to try to control the itching. How long should I wait before I start taking my regular medicines again? I am drinking a lot of water to try to flush the St. John's Wort out of my system.

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post.

I would continue to take your HIV medications as previous, but stopp the St. John's wort supplement.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is ok to take to help with the itching; but I'd contact your doctor at your next opportunity to discuss your symptoms.

Be well, BY

Waiting on my CD4s part 2
Please an answer about my first line meds