Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

problems with my wife
Aug 8, 2010

r you do a noble work, the whole world admires

My story, I'm depressed and stressed and I dont sleep, I accidentally used 2 times a razor from a friend's face when i was travelling, I have small minor injury caused by shaving, 5 minutes after my friend used this shaver . After this I found my friend has HIV and HCV, he was hospitalized later. Have I taken a risk of getting HIV or HCV? Am I obligated to take a test? Because six months that a lot of stress, and here in my counrty the tests are expensive, and it poses the problem of discrimination if people hear about this,specially my wife. Please help me Dr.i want to leave this life and the stress. What are chances of getting HIV or HCV in my case please help. For these reasons I have left my wife without telling her the reason, I dont want makes her sick by me, if I have HIV or HCV. thanks for your answers

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your post.

HIV transmission via a shared razor has been reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ; but this event is very likely to be quite rare.

You are not obliged to be tested, but in our country, routine HIV testing is recommended for all persons who might be at risk (I define this as anyone who is sexually active or has used injection drugs). Among the spouses of our HIV+ patients, I recommend testing every 6-12 months.

I don't know what country you live in, but it might be possible to get anonymous testing, particularly at the center where your wife (hopefully) already receives her HIV care.

I hope this helps, BY

Previous
ICU Visits
Next
SUSTIVA ON EMPTY STOMACH

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.