ICU Visits

I've been taking Atripla as a first line treatment for over two years now. My T-cells are about 375 at last check and my VL has been essentially undetectable since one month after starting treatment. Other a few aches and pains, I feel great. My father recently got very sick and is currently in the Intensive Care Unit of a local hospital. I've been spending a lot of time with him in the ICU, but it occurred to me today that I may be putting myself at risk. Please let me know what you think. I just can't imagine not being able to visit him.

Hello and thanks for your post.

If your viral load is undetectable and CD4 is above 350, I can find little reason that you'd be at risk in visiting your father. Be sure to observe any isolation procedures (as would be customary, HIV+ or not). If you have any specific questions about your risk, be sure to ask your father's doctor.

I hope that his health improves, BY

PEP
problems with my wife