Waiting on my CD4s

I started Isentress & Truvada mid March and at that time my VL was 8000 and cd4 was 340. In six weeks I was UD but my cd4s were still 340. My last set labs are back today and I am still UD but my cd4 only gained 20 to 360 and my % was 27.1. All my other blood work is with in range. I am 55 years old, so is it normal for us older ones to have a slower response? This is my first time on meds.

Hello Older and thanks for your post.

It's good to hear that you've had an excellent (and usual) virolgic response to your Truvada/Isentress regimen. You're correct that older persons do have slower and blunted CD4 cell responses- indeed, this is why I recommend that older persons (defined liberally) consider starting HIV medications with higher CD4s than younger persons.

It might be instructive to look at your CD4% change over the 6 months that you've been on treatment; there might be the numerical change that your hoping for. Alternatively, if your viral load is UD and you're otherwise well, I'd not change a thing.

So, be well, write back anytime. BY

3TC to FTC and back
A welcome side effect of Isentress?