COMBIVIR DOSAGE FOR NEEDLE STICK

HELLO. I WORK IN A HOSPITAL PHARMACY AND I WAS STUCK WITH A USED INSULIN NEEDLE WHILE DISPOSING OF THEM. THE SICK WAS MINOR. IT WAS IN MY FINGER. NOT MUCH BLEEDING AT ALL. I WENT TO EMPLOYEE HEALTH AND THEY PUT ME ON COMBIVIR TWICE DAILY FOR 28 DAYS. THEY ARE AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO BLOOD WORK FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS. JUST CURIOUS AS TO IF THE 28 DAYS WAS ENOUGH AND IF THERE IS ANYMORE I SHOULD DO? THE COMBIVIR SEEMED TO MAKE ME VERY WEAK. I ALSO HAD HEADACHES, COLD SWEATS, FATIGUE. I FEEL AS IF I'M SLOWLY GETTING BETTER. YOUR ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear about your experience.

The risk from contarcting HIV from a discarded needle, especially one that may have been sitting around for a long time is extremely unlikely. CDC guidelines indicate that no HIV transmissions ahve occurred by this route. There are no data to support better outcomes with a 2 drug (like combivir) versus a 3-drug combo for prevention, especially in low risk situations. The 28 days is a standard course and should be fine.

The other thing to do is be sure they checked your hepatitis B status. Have you been vaccinated? Hep B is much more likley to spread than HIV and can also be prevented. Also a tetanus booster should be given if it is time.

Best, Joe

The Quad
Why is my CD4% so low?