pep and transmission
Aug 3, 2010
i fucked a positive menstruating woman and my condom broke, i started combivir as a pep 13 hrs after..........after 6 wks from the expossure i developed weight loss 4%.........and leukopenia with agranulocytosis........i became negative at 5 and 6 wks after on rapid test............how risk am i to develope hiv infection?........can you comment this note plz?
Response from Dr. McGowan
Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Your risk from this epsisode would depend on a couple of factors. The following would be important to know:
1) The viral load of your female partner: if she had suppressed virus on treatment your risk could be substantially lowered. 2) Did you have any sores or ulcers on your penis/genitals? If so, that could increase your risk. 3) Did you wash off quickly with soap and cold water? If so, that could decrease your risk. 4) Are you circumscised? If so, that may decrease your risk.
It is good that you started meds as soon as possible after exposure.
I am not sure if your symptoms are from HIV or not, you should speak with your doctor to have a full evaluation.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Precum Touching Vagina And HIV Transmission Risk
- Diarrhea Worried It Could Be Ars
- Is Flaky Skin A Symptom Of HIV?
- Chills After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Having Sex During Period What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.