Definition of med compliance

There is quite a bit of discussion on the need for copmliance with HIV meds, but what exactly that means doesn't seem to be discussed. So, for a once a day med, does being compiant mean that I take it within 5min of the same time each day? or 15min? or 1hr? or... Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Compliance and adherence are important factors that drive the success of medical treatments. Defined broadly, these terms apply to many elements of care, not just pill taking. Indeed, adherence to medical appointments is maybe a more predictive factor than pills.

I prefer the use of the term adherence rather than the more statutory term, compliance.

As for your questions, for most once-daily regimens, we aim to achieve 90-95% daily dosing, but the time window of "success" is not as critical as your question would suggest. I tell my patients that if their dose is within 3-4 hours of the same time daily (perhaps even longer), there's no problem.

Be well, BY

Atripla
Truvada