Reyataz/Truvada WITHOUT the Norvir?

I take Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir. I am in a part of the world for three months with little if any refrigeration. Unfortunately, my last 30 days supply of Norvir has suffered, and all the gel-tabs have fused together. Is there any point in continuing taking the Reyataz and Truvada without the Norvir? Or should I take a one month "drug holiday"? (I was diagnosed seven years ago, have been 100% compliant with my meds, and undetectable viral load for the past 6 years.)

Hello and thanks for your post.

If you're taking Truvada with Reyataz (atazanavir), it's a bad idea to take the medications without Norvir. This is because the tenofovir part of Truvada lowers Reyataz levels, an interaction overcome with Norvir boosting.

It would probably be best to first discuss the situation with your healthcare provider; in my opinion, it would be better to hold all of your HIV medications until you have all of them to take.

One alternative to discuss with your provider is the possibility of using Epzicom (abacavir/3TC) with unboosted Reyataz-- a combo that has been evaluated in the ARIES clinical trial. Such a regimen switch suggests that there would be little penalty in going to a Norvir-free Reyataz with Epzicom (a combo that avoids the previously mentioned drug interaction). We've had nice results in patients who, for one reason or another, had issues with Norvir.

I hope this is helpful, BY

Can i trust the results for an HIV elisa test after 7 and 10 months??
Atripla