Starting treatment and improving my CD4 count

1. i have just had my cd4 count test. it is approximately on 279. how do i help my body to improve it as i am not yet ready for ARV's. 2. does this mean i dont have any other alternative way but to take the treatment.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

The CD4 count will fluctuate thoughout the day and over time. We measure the CD4 cells that are out in the blood, but most are in the tissues. So any one reading is not enough to make decisions. However, I would recommend starting meds since your CD4 count is in the 200s, but you need to be ready. Don't think of it as a dreaded thing to avoid..."Oh no I finally HAVE to start meds". Think of it as an opportunity to fight back and take charge of this infection. You can decide the time that you will kill this virus..that is your power.

We have tried nutritional supplements and vitamins...and these are important and should be used especially if your appetite is poor or your diet limited...however they do not get at the root cause of the low CD4 count. It is the virus that is dropping the CD4, without it your count would be normal. Once the virus is suppressed, then your body can heal itself. That is when B vitamins and anti-oxidants can really help because they can feed good health HIV-negative CD4 cells as they grow.

Best, Joe

atripla
Lymphatic with HIV+