anal warts

Hi! My name is Stephanie. I just discovered theses coliflower things around my rectum. I'm curious and want to know if they are deadly. I think its anal warts. Also is fever and weakness symptoms of anal watrs? They are very itchy and my stool is very very soft lately and I've been bleeding out rectum. I have doc app in two weeks. Will I be ok till then?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Stephanie,

Thanks for this important question.

Yes, these sound like anal warts or condyloma. These can be caused by a virus called HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). HPV is very common (over 100 million infected in the US) and is spread sexually. There are many strains of HPV, some cause warts and some can cause cancers such as cervical, vaginal, penile and anal cancer. Women get regular PAP smears of the cervix to look for HPV and any signs of cancer cells. We now recommend that any woman with an abnormal cervical Pap also get an Anal Pap smear. Also men who have sex with men should get an anal pap smear to look for HPV infection and signs of cancer cells. It usually takes a long time for cancer to develop but it can be shorter if the CD4 count is low.

Luckily the strains of HPV that cause warts generally do not cause cancer, but it is common to be infected with multiple strains.

Be sure to get an anal as well as cervical Pap. The best treatment is prevention and these warts and any early changes in the Pap can be treated to prevent any chance for cancer to develop.

Best, Joe

CD4 vs Viral load
truvada and isentress