The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anal warts
Jul 29, 2010

Hi! My name is Stephanie. I just discovered theses coliflower things around my rectum. I'm curious and want to know if they are deadly. I think its anal warts. Also is fever and weakness symptoms of anal watrs? They are very itchy and my stool is very very soft lately and I've been bleeding out rectum. I have doc app in two weeks. Will I be ok till then?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Stephanie,

Thanks for this important question.

Yes, these sound like anal warts or condyloma. These can be caused by a virus called HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). HPV is very common (over 100 million infected in the US) and is spread sexually. There are many strains of HPV, some cause warts and some can cause cancers such as cervical, vaginal, penile and anal cancer. Women get regular PAP smears of the cervix to look for HPV and any signs of cancer cells. We now recommend that any woman with an abnormal cervical Pap also get an Anal Pap smear. Also men who have sex with men should get an anal pap smear to look for HPV infection and signs of cancer cells. It usually takes a long time for cancer to develop but it can be shorter if the CD4 count is low.

Luckily the strains of HPV that cause warts generally do not cause cancer, but it is common to be infected with multiple strains.

Be sure to get an anal as well as cervical Pap. The best treatment is prevention and these warts and any early changes in the Pap can be treated to prevent any chance for cancer to develop.

Best, Joe

CD4 vs Viral load
truvada and isentress

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint