where m i

Dr. I have read many of your answers could you solve my problem i have a CD4 of 740 and Plasma Viral Load of 110 tested on 30 March 2010 the test was done 4 months after infection. Is this a good result for a infected person. Also could you guess for a case like mine when do i start medicines are there more then 5 years to start with. What should i keep away from and Wat should i eat in my meals more. Whats the average life one can live after beginning with treat meant and and on my case as i am very worried look at my results.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

I had answered a bit of this before.

If is really just 4 months after infection then your numbers look very good, especially the viral load is low. A few months after infection the viral load, which is initially very high, will drop down and settle at a level called "the viral set point". This level of virus can remain stable for years and helps predict how fast things may progress. A low level (less than 5-10,000) off meds is good; a high level (> 100,000) usually means progression may be more rapid. Your level is very low and, if it remains stable could give you a few years (5 is reasonable) with good CD4 counts. Life expectancy projections are improving every year. Recent studies suggest that if you can keep your CD4 count above 500 after 3 years of treatment (with suppressed HIV viral load) you can expect a normal lifespan. That is very reassuring.

Best, Joe

blood testing / screening
Is it true what this study is suggesting?