The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jul 29, 2010

I had an unsafe encounter 48 hours ago, where a male of unknown status tried to penetrate me (I'm a male). It didn't last long and he didn't get very far in - I don't normally receive, so I would have known if it had gone in further. Anyway, I freaked out about the risk factor, and so went to the doctor today. He said it was a low to moderate risk, and prescribed me PEP Truvada for 28 days.

Reading other posts on here, it seems others have taken a combination of drugs, not just one, so I was worried that this Truvada drug is enough.

I believe it is a combination of two drugs - is that the case?

Thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about yuor experience. The risk you describe would indeed be low. If there was no or minimal exposure to his semen and little trauma from penetration, the risk would indeed be negligible. CDC guidelines do recommend a combination treatment if it decided to treat. In your case the decison to treat is based on your concern...some people would like to reduce the risk as low as possible even if it is very small to begin with, others dilike taking meds and would prefer not to if the risk is very low. With exposure guidelines for health care workers a 2-drug combination such as truvada (tenofovir and emtricitabine) is acceptable for low risk exposures. It is most important that you started treatment within 72 hours.

Best to you, Joe

HIV Testing - ELISA
need help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint