Traveling with Meds

I live in Indonesia for now maybe the next to two years and then maybe move to another country due to work but also travel home for vacation. My question is I was told that I must stay true to the time I take my meds to the hour. When I travel the meds that I take at night in Indonesia and then go to sleep, I have to take during the day when I go to another time zone. When I take those meds during the middle of the day I feel terrible the rest of the day and just want to sleep, which ruins my vacation or business trip. How much must I stay committed to the time when traveling? This is not normal living as I was told it would be, before taking meds. I could really use some guidance on this as I feel sometime my doctor does not know.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. It is a common concern for people who travel.

The best thing is to switch to your new time zone. If you take your meds at bedtime...keep doing that in your new zone and switch back when you get home. The few hours early/late on the 2 days of travel will not be enough to compromise your response as long as you are consist the rest of the time. This is especially true with some of the newer treatments which are more forgiving of slight changes in timing. Not missing a dose is more important and if you feel miserable you are more likely to miss a dose.

Best, Joe

Atripla or Truvada/Isentress?
Starting Atripla