Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Dr. Young
Jul 8, 2010

Thank you for your help. It is a relief to me that I'm still able to make a child. So, how would I go about setting this sperm washing thing up? How much does it cost? Are there any risks involved? What would we need to do? Please forgive me, I'm just so happy right now!! You truly are the best doctor. You would give my current doctor a run for his money! And I KNOW there are a lot of doctors here that would benefit from your knowledge and intellect. I love you, man! You've renewed my hope in doctors, people, and myself.

One more thing, since I'm in a relationship, my partner is scared to let me penetrate him. I think because of my dio. Does that mean I have to be a bottom, like forever? I mean, it's not so bad, since he's not very large, but is that what having aids means for gay people? I mean, because I would rather flip-flop. But if thats what it means, than so be it. I would rather be his bottom than to be nobodies anything. It's strange, but I feel like I can talk to you about anything! Well, that's it for now. Talk to you soon!

And what about the doctor that said he found the Achlee's Heel for a cure? Whats going on with that? He's in Houston.

And how would one meet a woman for this? I mean its not like there is a website for this, is there?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your post and kind words; sorry for the delayed response.

Your's is a complicated set of questions and a bit beyond my area of expertise.

Fortunately, there is a (somewhat dated) article from TheBody.com on sperm washing that should shed some light on the topic of sperm washing. Finding a woman who would be your biological partner in this process is indeed another challenge; I can't say that I know how to help in that part.

As for sexuality, top, bottom and otherwise, this has much to do with knowledge and management of risks, use of safer means (condoms, lubricants), being on treatment and having an undetectable viral load-- all things that significantly reduce the risk of HIV transmission. It's probably a time for sensitive discussions with your partner, perhaps counseling, but appreciate that your situation isn't unusual.

I'm not sure about the Achilles heel, but currently, there is no cure for HIV, just simple medications that (for the large majority of people) cause few side effects and prevent disease progression and death. That's not to say that all of us continue to dream, aspire and support research that someday will find a cure. It's just that that time hasn't yet arrived.

Be well, BY

Previous
timing of meds
Next
New-found antibodies???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.