timing of meds

I am currently on kaletra (twice daily 8 am + 8 pm) + tenofovir and lamivudine(once a day at 8 pm). My doc said it was best for me to take kaletra twice daily instead of once daily because I am not treatment naive (got drug resistance to efavirenz).

Is it ok if I change change the night dosing to 10 pm and keep taking kaletra in the morning at 8am? In other words, does kaletra dosing really need to be taken 12 hours apart?

Also, is this ok to delay the night doses in 1-2 hours frequently? What would still be considered safe if I do not take my meds exactly at the same hour at night?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello and thanks for your post.

A couple of thoughts. First, if your drug resistance is limited to efavirenz (or NNRTIs), there's no reason why you couldn't take your Kaletra once daily. Alternatively, there are other protease inhibitors that are also available as once-daily options.

That said, your dosing could easily modified to the 10pm/8am schedule, as there is not specific requirement for every 12 hour dosing.

I hope this helps, BY

alcohol and atripla
Hello Dr. Young