Longevity of treatment

I started treatment a year ago when I had a CD4 of 201, CD4% of 13 and a viral load of 156,000; now I am CD4 1,021, and CD4%31 and undetectable after 6 months and still am. I take Sustiva and Truvada and have never missed a dose or being late, is there a 'life-span' as to how long the drugs will be effective in treating my virus? Will and has it ever found a way to become resistant even though adherence is excellent?

Hello and thanks for your post.

It sounds like you've done very, very well on medications-- with great numbers only 6 months after starting.

For people like you who have had virological proof of treatment potency and adherence, there's little reason to think that you're at significant risk of having the treatment poop out. Indeed, most cases of failure or drug resistance emerge in the first months of treatment. I've got many patients who have been successfully suppressed, going on 10 years (or more). So, as long as you continue to have access to, and adhere to your medications, I think that your future should be a healthy one.

Be well, BY

meds and food
report