not Salvageable?? am I ????

I just found out that I have been suffering with HIV the last 5 years. But belive it or not I have been infected 25 years ago. I have been married to husband and have 2 beautiful children 17 and 12 all .negative. I have been very sick with lots of disease the last 5 year and now it comes down to stage 4 lymphoma when I was visiting in the USA. My lymphoma is now under remission with 5 rounds of chemo and my viral load is still undetectable but my CD4 was 175 during my diagnosis 6 months ago and now only 44. I am on Viriad , Sustiva and Viramune the last 6 months. But I am wasting like a crazy and now during subdural hematoma they also told me my brain is infected and damaged. I am in lots of pain and Drs, already claimed me not Salvageable. Released from the hospital the second day of the subdural hematoma I know I am going to die but I do not want to die here before I see my kids ..Do you thing I am going to make it . I had fungal pneumonia during my chemo and the hematoma is caroused by the blood timer they were give me all the 5 months and off course my wasting. I have gone from 210#-46#....Any words

This is written by a friend of hers

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about the hard time you have been having.

I do think there is hope. From what you have said the lymphoma is in remission, so that is good news. You should expect a buildup of your CD4 count now that you are off chemo. The chemo may lessen the rise you might expect in the CD4, but it should improve a good deal from where you are now. The hematoma is a complication, but should also resolve now that you are off blood thinners, so that is not going to be insurmountable.

the key at this point is to keep the HIV suppressed and eat to regain your weight and stamina. If you stay in remission you should be able to recover.

If you stated the medications you are taking correctly (Viread, Sustiva and Viramune) that would be a very unusual combination...since Sustiva and Viramune essentially do not add much to each other and may add some liver problems. If that is correct you should discuss a change to something more simple that will still keep your viral load undetectable.

Best to you, Joe

Starting Meds for First Time
Resistance Testing, A Reason to Delay Treatment?