|presency of hiv
Jun 14, 2010
Hi Dr. can hiv virus is present only on visible blood? beacous once day my friend(hiv+)cuts a apple. during this his fingur also get cut with knife. after 5 min. i use this knife for cuts the another apple and obtaind slices are eaten. what will be the chances of hiv infection?
| Response from Dr. McGowan
The chances would be very low. The risk would depend on a few factors:
1) How much virus (the viral load) is in your friend's blood. If he had suppppressed his HIV with medicine the risk would be esremely low. 2) If there was no visible blood on the knife (and it may have been wiped clean by the apple) that also decreases the amount of exposure. 3) The acidity of the apple would further decrease the risk 4) Spread of HIV through the GI track (in the mucous membranes of the mouth) is much less than a puncture through the skin. HIV that might be in a tiny amount on the apple would be even less likely to get through the mucous membranes in the mouth.
So overall, the risks would be extremely low.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Will People Infected With Hiv Show The Presence Of?
- Hiv Presence In Saliva
- Will People Infected With Hiv Show The Presence Of Excess T Cells?
- Presence Of Hiv Antibodies
- Protocol For Immunofluorescence For The Presence Of Antibodies Against Hiv
- HIV Infection Risk Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.