just to know

Hi Dr, I wish to know can a person have PVL 103 with out having HIV positive is it possible for a person to detected with PVL as also my CD4 is 730 and my % is 29%. Could you guide. And what is the maximum PVL can a person have with out HIV positive. As i have also heard that CD4 count can fall due to many other reasons is it true. Your guide will be a great help to me and many of my frens here. thanks once again

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is p[ossible to have a "false positive" viral load in a person who is not infected. This is why we generally would not recommend that a viral load test be done to diagnose HIV unless the person has symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome (meaning they are infected within the past couple of weeks before the antibody test has time to be positive). During acute retroviral syndrome the viral load is very very high (I just had a recent case with the number at 9.7 million!). So a very low viral load (less than 400-1200 depending on the test) with a persistently negative antibody test means that the person is NOT infected with HIV..it is a falsely positive result.

Best, Joe

resistance
general