HIGH COLESTEROL

I am currently taking truvada,lexiva,norvir in the morning. In the afternoon I take lexiva and norvir. Is it okay to take them at the same time? Also I am taking pravastatin and fenofirbate for my high colesterol. But my colestrerol keep climbing it is currently at 300mg/dL. I currently change from tricor and crestor. Do you think i should go back to the name brand?

Hello and thank you for your post.

If Lexiva and Norvir are your "first-line" protease inhibitors, then there's no reason why you couldn't take all of your medications at the same time (morning or evening). Indeed, the standard dose of Lexiva/Norvir for most patients is 1400 mg /100 mg once daily, without regard to food or diet.

Your cholesterol is indeed high, a switch from pravastatin to rosuvastatin (Crestor) sometimes improves levels, as does working on diet and exercise. Clearly, one should work on all modifiable cardivascular disease risk factors-- such as smoking and high blood pressure. Should these interventions not get your levels to acceptable levels, a switch from the boosted protease inhibitor to a different class of medication (NNRTI or integrase inhibitor) might help.

Be well, BY

Miss 3 Doses or Cut 3 pills in Half?
At what point should I start HIV medication?