Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is a 16 week ELISA test conclusive?
Jun 9, 2010

Hello Doctors, good forum and good information. I had a potential unwanted oral exposure at a bachelor's party when a stripper placed an object that was in her vagina in my mouth..

After this; I did the following tests;

- 20 days after exposure- HIV test by ELISA - negative; VDRL test- negative - 15 weeks after exposure- HIV test by ELISA - negative.

I have the following symptoms at present; - irritated throat and occasionally bringing up phlegm - muscle pains esp in collarbone and neck area - tingling in arms and legs - no rash but some small random red buttons and black dots have been appearing on my skin.. - fatigue at times I have done numerous blood tests; my docs say normal--it seems my lymphocyte concentration is decreasing from 42% in Dec just after the incident to 32.7% three weeks ago..

my questions are ; 1. is the 16 week HIV negative test conclusive and do i need to do anymore testing? 2. should I be checking for any other STD's?

Thanks for your response..

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your comments.

HIV testing is recommended for all persons age 13-64 as part of routine healthcare (independent of risk or risk category).

1. I typically recommend HIV testing at 1,3 and 6 months after an exposure. Therefore a 16 week negative ELISA is encouraging, but not sufficient, IMHO.

2. If you had a potential exposure to HIV, you could have had exposure to other STDs, no? Yes, you should be checked for other STDs.

BY

Previous
Kaposis
Next
Gettiing pregnant on Atripla? Can I get back after pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.