Diabetes and HIV

I was just recently diagnosed with HIV. I have been a Type 2 Diabetic for 3years. I am on 500 mg of Metformin 2xday, 60 mg of Glipizide 1xday and I am taking a blood pressure med 20 mg 1x day "Lisprol". I go in 2 weeks to see a specialist to have my CD4 and viral load read. I was wondering if I have to start meds for the HIV will it effect the other meds that I am on? and should what questions should I ask the doctor concerning this.

Response from Dr. McGowan

There is no drug interaction between your diabetes medicine and meds that may be used to treat HIV. The blood pressure medicine is probably lisinopril, which is also safe with anti-HIV meds.

The things I would discuss with you doctor and have him/her watch are: 1) Diabetes, high blood pressure and HIV can all effect kidney function, as can certain medications used to treat HIV (specifically tenofovir). So your kidney function should be closely watched 2) Some of our medications for HIV (especially some of the older protease inhibitors) may increase blood sugar levels so these should be monitored closely after starting medication if a protease inhibitor is used. 3) HIV and some of the meds used to treat HIV can effect you cholesterol and blood lipid levels which might increase your risk for heart disease 4) HIV, diabetes and high blood pressure can all increase the risk for heart disease and stroke...keeping all 3 under control is the best way for you to stay healthy.

Over time, managing your HIV will be just like your other chronic medical issues....just keep on top of things, stay adherent and you should do fine.

Best, Joe

NEW REGIMAN BEGIN.....
meds and my dog