NEW REGIMAN BEGIN.....

I was currentently on atripla for 7 mos.my labs came back undectable with a drop in my c4 count.aftrer an 1hr 1/2 hr dr. visit going over my labs and side effects from atripla ,i am now put on a new regimen june 3rs consisting of truvada-1 time a day with norvir 1-twice a day and apitvus 2-twice a day.my question to you is this considered a good regimen,i am a long time survivor have been going on my 13th yr.in july of this year.i also have hep-c....i will be anxiously awaiting your thoughts.....ALICIA H.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi Alicia,

Generally we would reserve the use of Aptivus for a person who has HIV that has developed resistance to other classes of drugs, specifically to the protease inhibitors. There would be many other simpler choices if that is not your situation. At any rate the dose of norvir that should be used with Aptivus is 2 norvir tablets (or capsules) twice daily, not 1.

Please discuss this again with you doctor to be sure that you are getting the correct combination based on your past treatment and resistance test results.

Best,

Joe

HIV-1
Diabetes and HIV