switch to Atripla

I am going to switch my med from Sustiva,reyataz,norvir and abacvir to atripla...under the doctors orders...I know that atripla contains sustivia...so I do not thinkI will suffer any further CNS symptoms when I switch...what about the two other drugs in Atripla?

JB On the Rock

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear JB on the Rock,

Not sure why you ended up on such an unusual combination. If it was due to having resistance in your virus than the switch to Atripla may not be the safest move. You should discuss that with your doctor.

Assuming resistance is not an issue, the other 2 drugs in Atripla are tenofovir and emtricitabine...both are in the same family as abacavir and both also come together in a medicine called Truvada. They are usually well tolerated but some people may have some "bloating" of the stomach with them. Also it is important to watch the kidney function and avoid taking other medicines together that could also cause kidney problems. Truvada has not been associated with heart attacks and does not affect the cholesterol levels to any great extent. Truvada may cause more thinning of the bones (osteoporosis) than your current treatment, but has not been associated with more bone fractures.

Best, Joe

Viramune vs. Isentress
Question about Unique Cases