Lifespan question follow up

I just read the question and answer regarding lifespans for perrsons with HIV. I am happy to say that I fall into the category of early detention, effective treatment and good adherence. However, my biggest concern is that these medications are very toxic. What is the risk of the medications designed to prolong my life eventually causing other health problems?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Long-term toxicity of medications is an important topic-- particularly for persons like you who have seemingly mastered the major issues of access to care, adherence and effectiveness.

For the large majority of patients (some of whom have already been on treatment for more than 10 years now), there is little evidence of direct toxicity. For those who have not had toxicity in the first years of treatment, it's my general opinion that there's is even further decreasing risk of new toxicity. Nevertheless, as patients and healthcare providers alike, we should continue to be vigilant with clinical and laboratory monitoring for toxicity and be mindful that this is still an emerging theme.

I hope this helps, BY

Longevity
Blood T-Cells