Insonia After Switching To Atripla

Greetings from Australia!

Recently we got Atripla here in this country. Previous to this, we had Sustiva and Truvada - as you know, exactly the same drug, but in 2 tablets due to licensing issues.

My doctor switched me to Atripla for the convenience of taking one pill per day and as it's cheaper than buying the two other drugs.

However, since I have moved to Atripla I have had trouble staying asleep each night. I will sleep 5 hours, and then wake up wide awake and find it very difficult to get back to sleep again.

Thia is starting to affect my job as I'm not getting enough sleep and I'm feeling sleepy at my desk every day.

I know the medications are the same as I am on before, but why am I now experiencing insomnia since switching to Atripla?

I was racking my brain and thinking maybe my body is absorbing the drugs in a different concentration or something like that?

Do you know what I can do? I don't want to start sleeping pills and risk addiction to these.

Could I get a pill cutter and cut the Atripla tablet in half and take one half in the morning and one at night time to reduce the amount of the drug that's "hitting" my system at once, or is this a bad idea?

Other than this, I love the drug - I have zero viral load and no other side effects at all, so I'd like to stay on it. Going back to the old drugs would be double the price and less convenient, so I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks if you can offer any words of wisdom and thanks for the work you do here.

Hello and thank you for your post.

You're correct in that a switch from Truvada+Sustiva to Atripla should not cause any new symptoms.

Because there are multiple causes of insomnia, a simple way to double check that it's the medications that are the cause would be to try switching back to the Truvada+Sustiva.

Give this a try (or discuss your symptoms with your doctor).

Be well, BY

Why Combivir is taken for 28 day
Adherence to Different Meds