Why Combivir is taken for 28 day

Hi, Dr

I am a female from South Africa, my ex boyfriend of whom i dont know his hiv status raped me two weeks ago, my doctor putted me on aspen lamzid for 28 days after 48 hours of exposure. During the process of rape my skin was teared though there was no blood. I need to know why the medication has to be taken for 28 days.

Hello and thank you for your post.

Post-exposure prophylaxis is prescribed for 28 days based on the results of earlier studies that showed that shorter duration of treatment was not as effective.

If you're having difficulty with side effects or adherence, please discuss your situation with your healthcare provider.

Best of luck, BY

Help! PEP After Exposure missed a dose...or 3
Insonia After Switching To Atripla