Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help! PEP After Exposure missed a dose...or 3
May 29, 2010

Hi, first of all, thank you for this wonderful forum. I was sexually assaulted 36 hours ago. I was in the hospital yesterday and they recommended taking Truvada and Kaletra for 30 days. The problem is that, I was so nervous that I misread the instructions. I am supposed to take Truvada once a day and 2 tablets of Kaletra twice a day. Instead, on my FIRST day, I took 1 tablet of Truvada and ONLY 1 tablet of Kaletra (so I missed the other 3 Kaletra!). I feel stupid, but again I was so nervous after this traumatic event. The following day I did start taking my meds properly in the morning (1 Tru, 1 Kaletra) and night (1 Kaletra)

Since this was the very first dose, should I be concerned?? Is there anything I should be doing (besides taking my meds properly?)

Any information is much appreciated...thanks in advance!

Pablo

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am very sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. When it comes to post exposure prophylaxis, it is important to start the PEP regimen as soon as possible after possible HIV exposure. It appears that you did that. Also, you corrected yourself pretty quickly and by day 2 you were taking the medicines as prescribed. Though it is hard to give you a categorical assurance, more than likely you will be OK despite what occurred on day 1 of starting the medicines. Just to be clear the standard adult dose for your PEP regimen is ONE truvada daily and two Kaletra tablets (each tablet is 200/50) twice a day for 28 days. As for other things you might be doing, I am hoping you are seeing your doctor. Thanks Joe

Previous
What do you think about this combo?
Next
Why Combivir is taken for 28 day

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.