Treatment change and decrease in CD4%

Hi Dr, I am from the Uk and 4 months ago I changed from a regime of Combivir and Sustiva to Atripla. During the 9 years on that combination I have always been undetectable and my Cd4 has been at around 900-1000, my Cd4 % being between 23 and, in December 33%. I have had my results today and my count is 890 and I am still undetectable. However my % has fallen to 28%. I remember reading somewhere that such a fall is significant. Should i be concerned at such a large fall in such a short time after changing meds? thanks for all the great work you do on this site. Dan.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hello Thank you for your question. The key aspect is that your viral load is undetectable on your current treatment. The Atripla should not be impacting your CD4 percentage. I would have your doctor recheck it and if it is confirmed that the percentage is declining it might be prudent to initiate a work up for the % drop unrelated to any change in your HIV treatment. Thanks Joe

research on testing
Long term side effects of Epzicom