risk factor

Hi my name is LeeAnn from RSA

I had sex with my husband who is HIV positive his CD4 count is 326 and i can remember the viral load.

Anyway; the reason for me writing is because; after having sex with him we dicovered the condom broke. we just not sure when it broke. My doctor prescribed Aspen Lamzid and i have been taking it for the past two weeks now. i went for a test the very same day but it was negative.

do you think that it might still change?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hello LeeAnn

It is good to hear that your initial test was negative. It is important that you complete four weeks of post exposure prophylaxis with the Aspen Lamzid (or Zidovudine/Lamivudine). Your doctor is almost certainly going to repeat HIV tests over the next one to six months. In general, when HIV infection occurs, the HIV test will usually be positive within six weeks of exposure and almost always within 3 months following exposure. Thanks Joe

wish to know
research on testing