Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Canker Sores
May 27, 2010

Dr, I was exposed to HIV via condom breakage on October 31'st 2009 and was tested out to 6 months via point of care finger prick test (INSTI). I tested at 6 weeks 3 months and 6 months however I am cocnerned of some symptoms which I am not sure are the effects of either HIV or Anxiety.

First of all my skin has become oily, I have developed 2 chalazions between my 3 and 6 month test. Finally on may 10th or so I got two canker sores in my mouth, which I have heard are indicative of HIV serconversion. I get canker sores on and off since I was young definatley before I started having sex every couple of months until now, but now of course I am wondering if it is an indicator.

What other tests can I do? I am going to go for a regular Elisa instead of the rapid tomorrow. My last point of care was May 19th negative. I am afraid to do a pcr because of the long process time 3-6 weeks in the provincial lab.

kindly give me advice

Response from Dr. McGowan

From what you describe I would not be worried about having acquired HIV from that possible exposure in October. Having a negative test more than 6 months out is all that would need to be done. The canker sores preceded the exposure and continue. They are caused by herpes simplex and can be dealth with separately....they are very common and mostly occur in people without HIV. A PCR would not add anything at this point and could confuse matters if it is falsely positive.

Best, Joe

Previous
can i stop taking kaletra?
Next
SCABIES

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.