Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried
May 26, 2010

hi Dr. my friend was hiv+, once day during job work a solid needle was insert in his finger. after two minuits i use this needle for attaching the two papers during this the needle also insert in my finger. my question is that what is the chances of hiv infection?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Infection with HIV after a needle stick happens about once in every 300 exposures. The risk is higher if there is visible blood on the needle, if it were a hollow bore (like a syringe) rather than a solid bore (like a suture), if the person had a high level of virus in their blood (someone not on treatment, for example). The risk can be greatly reduced (by more than 80%) by starting anti-HIV treatment as soon as possible (but no later than 48 hours) after the exposure. This will usually block any infection from getting established. The treatment should be for 28 days. You would need to also be tested for hepatitis B and C which can also be spread (at higher rates than HIV) by needle stick. It is important to take the full course of treatment get an HIV test at the start and return for HIV testing at 4-6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after the exposure to be sure the test remains negative.

Best, Joe

Previous
efferctive hiv test
Next
mistake in hiv testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.