New Rules on Prilosec and Reyataz?

I was recently diagnosed with GERD. Prilosec was prescribed. My HIV meds (3 years) are Reyatez, Norvir, and Truvada. According to my doctor, new studies show that combining prilosec and reyataz is ok as long as they are taken 12 hours apart. I am 58, my viral load is undetectable, but my CD4 count has never exceeded 254. It has been three weeks now, and I am afraid to take the Prilosec. My gut is causing more pain. Do I need to get another opinion (or another doctor)? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Reyataz must be used with some caution if you're taking stomach acid lowering medications.

Here's from the most recent Reyataz package insert (reviewed by the US FDA):

"proton-pump inhibitors: The proton-pump inhibitor dose should not exceed a dose comparable to omeprazole 20 mg and must be taken approximately 12 hours prior to the REYATAZ 300 mg and ritonavir 100 mg dose."

So, your doctor is correct, but one should keep a close eye on your symptoms and viral load.

If your GERD is not improved on this dose of omeprazole and require additional acid-lowering treatment, it might be time to consider alternatives.

Be well, BY

change medication
Atripla and cold liver oil