Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP with no side effects is worrying me! (+donate question)
May 20, 2010

Hi Dr.,

My predicament is no different from scores of others here. I am really hoping you will look into my question, and provide with an opinion.

Sunday May 16th, I exposed myself to risk, topping a HIV +ve guy, and not one but two. I dont know what I was thinking and can not curse myself more for it. In my defence, I didnt know the guys were positive and it was only after I had cum inside one of them, I learned of thier status. One told me hes not on meds, whilst the other, I have no clue about. I came home with a shiver in my spine and was prescribed PEP in less than 30 hours. I took my first PEP medication of Kaletra (4 tabs, in one day) and Truvada ( one per day) 32 hours after the exposure. Its day 4 now, and I am awfully worried. I didnt have any cuts on my penis, and whilst my well wishers would say my risk is low, I think I am at a high risk, because I exposed myself to not one, but TWO guys in one night. My questions to you are:

1. I was apprehensive about PEP after reading so much about the side effects but I havent noticed any till now. No diarrohea, nausea, nothing. Is that normal? Its day 4 of my medication.

2. I have been reading about a viral load test that can let me know earlier than an anti-body test, if I have any traces of the virus in me. Do you think I can get a viral load test 2 weeks after the exposure to know where I stand? The wait and stress is going to kill me! I will be on PEP in 2 weeks so is that going to alter results?

3. How can I donate to your cause?

Thanks and waiting, WorriedSickinToronto

Response from Dr. Young

Hello WSIT and thanks for your post.

1. Consider yourself lucky. Many persons experience side effects from post-exposure prophylaxis-- but not all. Just because you're not having side effects doesn't mean that your medications aren't doing the job.

2. One could do a viral load test earlier, but in my opinion, this only provides reassurance, rather than the proof that you might want. Two weeks after exposure might be a little early to test a VL, I'd generally wait until 4 weeks, and don't forget to continue to get the regular antibody testing in the months to come.

3. As for donations, our new comprehensive HIV care and treatment non-profit, Rocky Mountain CARES is always looking for ways to support (and eventually endow) world-class care for all persons living with HIV in Denver. You can look us up on the web @ www.rockymountaincares.org or on Facebook (Rocky Mountain CARES).

Feel free to write back anytime with follow up concerns.

I hope this helps and wish you well, BY

Previous
Atripla effectiveness after starting and quitting Sustiva in less than one month in mid 2004
Next
Atripla and diet pills?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.