Atripla effectiveness after starting and quitting Sustiva in less than one month in mid 2004

I have a cd4 count of 54, just getting over PCP, and now I have Thrush. I been on Atripla for 6 days but started Sustiva back in 2004 and quit because it was harsh and I was depressed / just burried my head in the sand. The Genotype test recently run indicates that Atripla can be used. Again, I've been on it only for 8 days. Is it too early to tell? I'm now worried and should have taken action years ago

Hello and thanks for your post.

I'm puzzled, why did you start on Atripla when you were so intolerant of Sustiva in the past. Didn't you or your doctor know that Sustiva (efavirenz) is 1/3 of Atripla?

So long as you stopped all of your medicines (Sustiva + others) together in the past, the risk of drug resistance is small. Your HIV genotype is reassuring in this regard. In patients (perhaps like you) in whom we've got some concern about the potency of a new regimen, we'll monitor adherence closely and check a viral load within 2 or 4 weeks after starting. Six days would be too soon to tell.

I hope this helps, BY

Should I continue taking Aspen Lamzid
PEP with no side effects is worrying me! (+donate question)