Should I continue taking Aspen Lamzid

Hi Dr,

I'm writing from RSA. I had unprotected sex a few weeks ago. We went for HIV test and we both tested negative. Having heard of the so called a "window period" (and not trusting anyone), I started to take aspen Lamzid within 48 hours. 2.5 weeks later I went for a PCR test and tested negative again. Should I continue taking the Pills ? The side effects are killing me.

Thanks, Anon.

Hello and thanks for your post from RSA.

Since you're taking the Lamzid(AZT+3TC) for post-exposure prophylaxis, I'd generally recommend completing the 1 month treatment course that is typically recommended.

A negative HIV PCR is reassuring, but shouldn't be interpreted to say that there's no additional risk.

That said, if you're having "killer" side effects of the Lamzid, and that quite possible that you've already derived at least some of the benefit of PEP, it might be reasonable to stop.

I'd have a brief discussion with your healthcare provider before stopping; there might be some strategies to decrease your side effects.

Enjoy the World Cup and best of health to you, BY

Meds with possible resistance
Atripla effectiveness after starting and quitting Sustiva in less than one month in mid 2004