not sure

Dear Dr. Well with out much of ur time i would like to tell you am a guy of 32 and i had semi solid kind of stool for about 3 months and i did have uneasy throat which was not sore throat but just a litte uneasy ness lasted a month. I did get my HIV tested was negative six months ago and now thought of getting my CD4 750 and my PVL 102. So can person with this status have HIV. Also could you tell me if yes can one live normal daily life along with 60+ in age. Could you tell me how good is my status and how long it takes for the result above to move to wards medication . does the combination mean slow and have many years for medicene. Hope you will advise the best.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

If your HIV test has turned positive within the last 6 months and your HIV viral load is very low (102), it may be many years before you would get "sick" even without treatment. Since your CD4 count is very good there is no agreement among experts whether you should start medicines now or wait. It is an individual decision that you need to make between yourself and your doctor. All treatments have risks and benefits. Your numbers are very good so the benefits of treatment right now are less clear. Certainly if you wanted to reduce your risk of getting sick from HIV as much as possible, then treatment could be started. The good news is that if you can keep your CD4 count high (above 500 at least) your long-term chances of surviving to 60 or much older are excellent.

Best, Joe

change medication
I want to better understanding on the terms used