|When to start treatment/
Apr 30, 2010
My brother is surgeon. He has been diagnosed HIV+ recently. He is totally depressed. His CD4 count is 360 and viral load is 60,000. when should he start treatment? In India treatment is started once the count goes below 200, thats what I have been able to find out Please help us.
| Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for your question.
In the US, current guidelines recommend treatment at CD4 counts of 500 or below. This would mean that your brother should be offered treatment. There are studies that indicate improved survival and less illness if treatment is started sooner. As long as depression would not interfere with his adherence to treatment and he has access to effective and safe medication, it would be advisable to start medication.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Rectal Bleeding After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sinus Infection After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Std If You And Your Partner Are Virgin And Have Oral Sex?
- Severe Back Pain And Vaginal Bleeding
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.