Please respond to this

hi doc i will try to make this short. Back in 2003 i smoked alot of cannabis out of alot of glass pipes with many people. Burned my lips many times i know the chance is small but it is possible. I took 1 elisa test about 2 years ago because of alot of weight loss the test came back neg and doc said im fine. since then it has got alot worse i am always tired,fatige. Also i cant gain weight in right places i have very thin face around eyes cheeks temples the most. also skinny neck,legs,arms and hands. Also fat gain in the stomach and breast my family and everybody i talk to always say i look ill and tired no matter what i do i cant gain. Someting is defently wrong i dont know what els to do. Is it possible the test came back false neg because of how long it has been and is so advanced? What other kind of test could i take to be 100% please help thanks

Jon

Response from Dr. McGowan

Jon,

If that past experience had been your only possible exposure to HIV and you tested negative more than 6 months after then you do not need to be tested again. If you had more recent risky behavior then you should have another HIV test. If that is negative (as it will likely be since the "risk" you describe is theoretical) then you should get a check-up from a good general internist or family practitioner. You may have a glandular (endocrine) problem. Your symptoms are non-specific and may be seen with many conditions, not just HIV. In fact the fat problems that you mention, especially the fat gain, would be extremely unlikely to be due to HIV which was not being treated. Best, Joe

Who was infected first?
Alternative to Isentress