The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wanted (second and last)
Apr 25, 2010

Hello,Dr.Joe, thank you very, very much for your answer, I was in a terrible state of anxiety! My last question and I hope you endure with me: Are those people who are negative sera-positive PCR are either seroreverters or newly infected,or is there more to it?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for the follow-up.

Most patients who test negative on the screening antibody test but who are positive on the PCR viral load test are "pre-seroconverters" which means they are very recently infected (within a couple of weeks) and have not had time to build up antibodies yet. They will often have very high viral loads and mostly have symptoms of an acute viral infection: fever, sore throat, swollen glands, sometimes a rash or sores in the mouth...something like the flu or mononucleosis. There has been much effort to be sure that docs in Emergency Rooms and clinics recognize and learn from these cases so they think about using HIV testing and PCR in the appropriate way. The other scenario, much more rare (only 16 cases ever reported in the world) is when people may have lost their immune response to HIV due to very advanced illness. These people have come in with opportunistic infections...if someone has confirmed OIs then looking for HIV by PCR might be reasonable. It would not be worthwhile for more general/non-specific symptoms because the finding is so rare.

Thanks, Joe

constant erection in 14yr old HIV boy on ARVS
what Med do you think should be added

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint