Beta 1,3-d-Glucan, is it a good idea?

Dr. Gallant:

I have been considering taking Beta 1,3 d-Glucan. The company that makes the product claims it stimulates the macrophage functioning "causing a full total immune response." My most recent viral load report shows an increase of .5 log. My understanding is that stimulating macrophages may increase my viral load even more. What do you think? Will it do more harm than good?

Frustrated in New York

Response from Dr. Gallant

I don't know--I've never heard of it. It seems like a fairly ambitious claim: "a full total immune response," though I'm not sure exactly what that means. If it were true, I think we'd have heard more about it by now. I doubt that it's responsible for your increase in viral load, but it might be responsible for an unnecessary drain on your wallet. JG

Marijuana and Side Effects
SPV-30?