Should I stop PEP?

I had unprotected sex and was unsure of my partner's HIV status. Was put under Combivir for 28 days. On the fourth day I called the person I had sex with and agreed to get a rapid test with me. He had not had sex with anyone before me in 2 months. The result came back negative. Should I stop taking PEP after the 4th day now that I know I wasn't at risk? And if so, r there any health risks? Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your risks of being exposed to HIV are obviously much lower if you know that your partner had a negative test and no other sexual encounters for a couple of months. One unresolved issue is that of possible recent HIV infection, where the tests could still be negative- this could take upwards of 3, maybe even 6 months.

If you had presented in our clinic with all of the information that you now have, you probably would have been counseled that PEP was not needed; as such you could probably stop the PEP now.

Be aware that not all risks of unprotected sex are just HIV; you should consider getting evaluated for possible exposure to other sexually-transmitted infections, like gonorrhea, syphilis or hepatitis virus. (If you're gay and neither been infected nor been vaccinated for hepatitis A or B, you should consider this--it's part of recommended preventive medicine.)

I hope this is helpful and good luck, BY

moving to eygypt
is it true