Want to have ababy

I found out I was HIV postive in october 2008 and since then I Have been having regular check ups on my CD4 whcih has been between 1,200 and 850. I now want to have a baby, what precautions should I take to get a healthy baby.

Regards Kassy

Hello Kassy and thank you for your post.

It is possible to have a healthy baby if you're HIV+. There are a couple of important issues-- one is your health, the other is prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV.

It seems that you're getting good access to care; there's much more involved than just getting lab work, but appropriate vaccinations, health screenings (like PAP smears) and counseling.

With regard to prevention of HIV transmission, starting on HIV medications can dramatically reduce the risk of transmission. We'd typically start on treatment (if you're not already on antiretroviral medications) in the second trimester of pregnancy. We would avoid the use of certain meds- including efavirenz- because of health risks to the baby.

Be sure to communicate your plans to your healthcare providers; they can tailor their advice and management of your health to your wishes.

I hope this helps. Be well, BY

ABNORMAL LFT
COLESTEROL