Increased triglycerides

I have been on Atripla for almost 5 years now and never had a problem. Until now.

My doctor said that my VL & CD4 are great but my Triglycerides are over 700. (Normal range I guess is +/- 100 or so)

This scares me to death. I have been + since 2001 and on meds since 2002. Is this some emerging complication, could it be something I ate before the test and what can I do to get that number down?

Hello and thanks for your post.

If all of your other triglyceride levels were normal, I'd figure that you were'n't fasting for the test. Triglycerides are one of several fats that we measure in the blood and very much influenced by when (and what) you last ate.

Some patients to have elevations in triglcyerides and cholesterol, sometimes as a reflection of their medications, other times because of diet, genetics and other factors.

More than anything else, I'd talk to your doctor, if you were'nt fasting for more than 8 hours, I'd repeat the test. One needn't be "scared to death". Elevated triglycerides usually don't cause any emergent or acute problems and one has time to react. If the elevation is confirmed, then there are medications and diet changes that can help; if your HIV medications are implicated (this is generally quite unusual for Atripla), then there are alternative HIV medications too.

I hope this helps, BY

Atripla Rash
Drop in White Blood Cell Count