Atripla Alternatives

I started taking Atripla a little more than a week ago, and I am treatment naive. CD4 375 VL 7500. I am having a terrible time coping with the fatigue caused by this pill. I feel hungover for most of the day and take several naps. This is brand new to me, I was full of energy just before starting. My resistance tests came back negative for all other treatments. I have a follow up appointment in three weeks. If the fatigue does not go away, I would like to explore the possibility of changing regimens. Which treatments would you recommend I discuss with my HIV specialist? I am certain that my fatigue is not depression, diet, anemia, or exercise related. I have tried taking the medication in the very early evening also to limit the effects, but that doesn't help much. I know its only a week into treatment, but I'm having a very difficult time functioning at work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!

-tired in NY.

Dear Tired,

Thanks for your post. It would seem that you have an unacceptable amount of fatigue; probably related to the efavirenz in the Atripla. For many persons, this improves over time.

There are a number of treatment alternatives that are worthy of discussion- current US guidelines would have you and your doctor considering a switch to either a ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor or the lone integrase inhibitor, raltegravir.

None of these is associated with significant sleep-disorder or fatigue.

I hope this is helpful, BY

returning to therpay
known exposure