isentress for naive

I had seroconversion illness about a year ago and probably in the next two/three months I will have to start a therapy. I have read that ISENTRESS is a wonderful new drug with much less chance of lipo/strong toxic changes to one's body. However, it seems you have to mix it with other drugs that do cause more side effect, but not always. Since I'm naive and it has been approved also for first lines such my own, whay combination could you suggest to start with Isentress? Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. I am glad that you are preparing for treatment in a positive way and learning about your choices. As long as your virus has no drug resistance (which should be tested before treatment) then all options are open to you.

Some of the new combinations, such as Truvada (tenofovir + emtricitabine) with Istentress (raltegravir) are very well tolerated. Having normal kidney function is important before starting Truvada. Some of the side effects listed for meds like Truvada are less common for that drug than other, older, medicines in the same class (such as AZT or D4T). The labels must reflect these as possible, but studies have shown them to be less likely (such as lipodystrophy and peripheral neuropathy, etc).

Best, Joe

New Norvir
Off Meds